Tax papers

FAQ about tax – for Individuals


Tax law is a difficult subject to understand. Everyone works hard and tries to pay their taxes every month in order not to have SARS knocking at their doors. But knowing what tax to pay and when you should pay it can complicate your life. Here at Lugisani Mantsha Attorneys, with information thanks to SARS, have come up with questions and answers to help you with your tax problems.

Here is the best questions and answers on tax law

  • What do I need to register as a taxpayer

The only way to register is to visit a SARS branch where the friendly staff will register you on our system.

Before you go to the branch, make sure you have all the supporting documents.

The following supporting documents are required:

Proof of Identity:

Certified or uncertified copies of a valid identity document, driving licence, passport, temporary identity document, asylum seekers certificate or permit together with the original identification (Identity document includes the green barcoded book and the smart ID card)

In the instance where a taxpayer is a minor, a certified or uncertified copy of the birth certificate of the minor together with a copy of the one of the parent’s/guardian’s identity document. If there is no surviving parent, the death certificate of one parent must be provided by the appointed guardian.

Proof of Address:

The document must clearly show the taxpayers name (either initials and surname or first names(s) and surname) and the physical address.

  • Do I need to pay tax

People who pay income tax are generally individuals who earn an income e.g. from a salary, commission, fees, etc.

If you earn under R350 000 for a full year from one employer (that’s your total salary income before tax) and have no other sources of additional income (for example, interest or rental income) and no deductions that you want to claim (for example medical expenses, travel or retirement annuities), then you don’t need to submit a return.

  • How do I register for tax

Only after you have registered as a taxpayer, you can register on eFiling.

Unsure whether you are registered or not? Ask your employer, or call our SARS Contact Centre on 0800 00 7277 or visit your nearest SARS branch to find out.

  • How do I send SARS my return

Taxpayers need to submit a tax return to SARS so we can calculate your tax liability based on the income you declare and the tax-deductible expenses you have incurred for a year of assessment. In some cases it may result in a refund.

The annual Tax Season is when you will be required to submit a return. For most taxpayers this runs from July to November every year.

  • How do I pay

Pay conveniently online, on time – avoid penalties and interest. Being late could cost you! Taxpayers, both individuals and businesses, are required to be fully tax compliant through on time submission of returns and payments, to avoid penalties and interest being charged. Important – If the submission date falls on a weekend or public holiday, you need to submit the return/declaration together with your payment, if applicable, by the last business day before the weekend or public holiday.

  • What if my payment is outstanding

In instances where taxpayers are not compliant and have outstanding tax debt, the Debt Management department is committed to assisting businesses and individuals to become fully compliant. If you want to make a payment to SARS, there are a number of options e.g. at a bank, via eFiling and via EFT.

  • What if I don’t agree

On 30 June 2017, SARS introduced an automated dispute management process for PAYE as part of our ongoing commitment to delivering a better service to taxpayers.

The new automated system now enables employers to lodge disputes via eFiling and electronically at any SARS branch, manage their tax profiles better and also have a consolidated view of all disputes lodged for Personal Income Tax (PIT), Corporate Income Tax (CIT), Value-Added Tax (VAT) and now PAYE.

  • What if I need help with my taxes

Help-You-eFile on the SARS eFiling website allows you, the taxpayer, to ask a SARS agent to share your view of the eFiling screen on your personal computer.

You have the support and advice of our staff without having to visit a SARS branch. You can even ask a SARS agent to call you back.

You can start a Help-You-eFile session by clicking on the Help-You-eFile icon on the SARS eFiling login page or after you’ve successfully logged on to the SARS eFiling website.

In conclusion,

You can contact us in order for us to assist you with your most pressing tax issues.

CategoryLegal Advice